Consular Services - Driver’s Licence Transactions
Renewing your Jamaican Driver's license while overseas
Jamaicans residing overseas may renew their Jamaican driver’s licence whilst residing overseas. To do so, they must designate someone in Jamaica to submit the application and receive the new driver’s licence on their behalf. The person delegated must have a valid form of identification.
You will be expected to do the following:
- Prepare an authorisation letter for your representative/agent in Jamaica (either a relative or a friend) to process the renewal on your behalf. Kindly note, this letter should be notarised by a Notary Public or a member of the Jamaican Consulate/ Embassy in the country in which you now reside. Fees - 2,000 yen. Also, please see attached a template partially completed for further guidance in the event necessary.
- Complete, sign, and notarise the Application for Renewal of Drivers Licence - FORM F7 (attached). Fees - 2,000 yen
- Prepare two (2) recent passport-sized photographs (no Polaroid), one (1) of which should be notarised. Fees - 2,000 yen
Total fees payable to the Embassy would be 6,000 yen
You would also be expected to:
- Submit your original Jamaican Driver’s Licence.
- Mail all the documents (items 1-4 above) to your representative in Jamaica who should submit the letter at the Stamp Duty and Transfer Tax Office for stamping, before visiting the Tax Office to have the Licence renewed. Please see below the location of the Stamp Duty and Transfer Tax offices:
- Kingston: 111 Harbour Street, Kingston.
Telephone: 1(876)924-9934 or 1(876)922-6972-3
- May Pen: 7 Windsor Avenue, May Pen, Clarendon.
Telephone: 1(876)986-2224 or 1(876)786-0000
- Montego Bay: 18B Howard Cooke Boulevard, Montego Bay, St. James.
Telephone: 1(876) 952-0000
Once the letter has been stamped, it should be taken to the Tax Office, along with the other documents, within fourteen (14) days of the stamping and the agent will be required to present a valid identification (ID) (i.e. Passport, Driver’s Licence, or National ID).
The costs for the transactions are as follows:
- - Stamp Duty (authorisation letter) - JA$500.00
- - Driver's Licence Renewal Fee
- Private Driver's Licence Renewal Fee - JA$5,400.00
- General Driver's Licence Renewal Fee - JA$7,200.00
If you have any further requests or queries, please feel free to e-mail us or call Customer Care Centre at 1-888-Taxhelp (829-4357) and 1-888-Go-Ja-Tax (46-52-829) from the U.S.A. Current opening hours are 8:30am-5:00pm (Mondays-Thursdays) and 8:30am-4:00pm (Fridays).
In the case of lost, stolen or misplaced Driver’s Licences, please make contact with the Embassy or Tax Administration of Jamaica, directly, for further information.